Do you find yourself-
• Losing familiar things frequently?
• Forgetting and missing appointments regularly?
• Having difficulty remembering straightforward facts and figures?
• Finding recalling content of recently read newspapers and books difficult?
• Forgetting how to use familiar things, e.g. microwave, hoover, cooker?
• Finding driving to new places challenging or getting lost in familiar locations?
The 10 Warning signs The Alzheimer Association describe include-
1. Memory loss that affects daily living
Forgetting important dates or events, inability to remember recently read information, asking for same information again and again.
What is typical age related change? Forgetting phone numbers or appointments but remembering them later.
2. Difficulty in planning and problem solving
Trouble in following a well-used recipe or organising routine monthly bills.
There may be difficulty concentrating, taking longer on familiar tasks or working with numbers.
What is typical age related change? Making occasional errors with bank statements
3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home or at work
Problems driving in familiar places, remembering rules of favourite games.
What is typical age related change? Occasionally needing help to record a TV show or reset microwave setting
4. Confusion with time or place
Losing track of time or dates; may have difficulty understanding something if its not happening immediately.
What is typical age related change? Getting mixed up about day of week but recognising this later on.
5. Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
Difficulties reading and judging distance, determining colours or contrast which may cause problems when driving.
What is typical age related change? Vision changes related to cataracts.
6. New problems with words in speaking and writing
Problems with joining or following conversations; may end speaking mid sentence and are unable to continue with subject. May repeat themselves or struggle with vocabulary and word selection.
What is typical age related change? Have trouble finding right word on occasions.
7. Misplacing things and losing ability to retrace steps
Objects may be put in unusual places ; things are lost and the person is unable to retrace steps or remember where they have put things. They may accuse people of stealing things which may become more frequent over time.
What is typical age related change? Misplacing things from time to time- losing the remote control.
8. Decreased or poor judgement
May experience changes in judgement or decision making- for example in dealing with money and giving inappropriate donations. May pay less attention to grooming or keeping themselves clean.
What is typical age related change? Making a bad decision once in a while.
9.Withdrawal from work or social activities
May start to withdraw from social activities, hobbies or sports. May have difficulty recalling rules of sports or remembering how to engage and complete card games.
What is typical age related change? Sometimes feeling weary or bored of friend and family obligations.
10. Changed in mood and personality
May become confused, suspicious, depressed, fearful or anxious. Can be easily upset at home or work or in places where they are out of their comfort zone.
What is typical age related change? Developing very specific ways of doing things and becoming irritable when a routine is disrupted.